Tuesday, April 10, 2007

First Day Checklist

Checklist For The First Day

adapted from Delivee L. Wright Teaching and Learning Center, University of Nebraska.

* Am I energized to be enthusiastic about this class?
* Do I have an ice-breaker planned? How will the students and I get to know each other and build trust?
* Have I started the students participating in a way I want to encourage all semester (ie, a discussion, if I want discussion, a brainstorm, asking questions, warm-up explorating for the upcoming topic, exchange of ideas, problem-solving, group work?)
* What class atmosphere and expectations about particpation and teamwork does my first day's lesson establish?
* Do I have a way to gather information on student backgrounds, interests, expectations for the course, questions, concerns?
* Is the syllabus complete and clear?
* Have I outlined how students will be evaluated?
* Do I have announcements of needed information ready?
* Do I have a way to start leaming names?
* How can I best use or adapt the physical arrangement of the classroom space to increase student engagement? (more chairs into a circle, ask students to move forward -- leaving the back rows empty)
* Is my name, course title, and number visible, on the chalkboard or elsewhere?
* When the class is over, will students know what they need to do, what their roles and responsiblities in this class will be?
* When the class is over; will students want to come back? Will you want to come back?

No comments: